My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 10 seconds. If not, visit
http://realfitmama.com
and update your bookmarks.

Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, good mother, good looking, good tempered, well groomed and unaggressive. ~ Leslie McIntyre

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Toddlers, Tiaras and...ADHD?

I have NEVER watched TLC's show Toddlers & Tiaras, but I hear buzz about it all the time. I've seen previews for it while watching other shows on TLC, but always felt creeped out, nervous or just plain ANGRY even seeing the newest trailer. When I read on momlogic.com that the mother of a 7 year old girl was withholding her medication for what she calls "off the charts" ADHD I was DISGUSTED! I have never heard of a parent picking and choosing the "right time" for a child to take medication,  (apparently it's called 'medicine manipulation) but now understand that some parents and doctors are working together to help keep their child more able to concentrate while at school and then helping them to learn better coping skills while at home. I'm not a doctor nor am I the parent of a child with ADHD, but I would assume if this is a program that's being developed WITH the doctor it's probably to the benefit of the child...
But I cannot see that a doctor would advise the parent to give their child medication while at school and then withhold the medication so thay they have ATTITUDE and more energy during a BEAUTY PAGENT!! Who let these women have children in the first place?
Sorry, I get a little over zealous when judging other people's parenting skills at times (not to say that I'm perfect by any means) and what is important to me may be thought of as trivial or stupid to another parent. I just think that there are some parents in the world who are losing perspective of what's really important and are STILL living vicariously through their children! I live vicariously through my daughters sometimes too...like when we're playing at the park and I swing with them or go down the twisty slide. I feel like an 8 year old all over again when I sing along to a Miley Cyrus song while Linsey and I are driving somewhere, but NEVER would I use my daughter (either of them) to get ahead in life by putting crowns, fancy dresses and a make up counter worth of foundation on her face while she struts her "stuff" on a stage for other crazy and disturbed adults to judge her!
For god's sake people these girls are just learning how to write in cursive yet we want them prancing around on stage looking like someone in their early 20's. My 20's weren't that great while I WAS in them...why can't these girls enjoy being 6 or 8 or 10 while they ARE 6 or 8 or 10 and deal with make up and fancy dresses and being judged by crazy and disturbed adults when they themselves are an adult and better equipped to deal with it?!?!?!

That is my rant for the day...and NOW back to my regulary scheduled blogram!

2 comments:

Courtney Reed said...

Amen, sistah! Great post!!! Let children be children! I think it's disgusting that "we" are forcing our children (primarily girls) into dressing like adults, walking like adults, and acting like adults at 8 years old. It's not just the shows, its in the stores, in the media, everything. When I go shopping for my kids clothes, it is very difficult to find clothes that are age appropriate. When I went to buy my oldest daughter's first training bra, I was hard pressed to find one that wasn't a padded push up bra.....for a 9 year old! A PADDED PUSH UP TRAINING BRA! They have the rest of their lives to be adults...they only get the opportunity to feel like a kid once, and it goes to fast to not nurture that.

RealFitMama said...

I am in complete agreement with you. I saw a little girl (at my work in the Infant/Toddler classroom) wearing HIGH HEELS!!! She's not even 2 years old yet and is already being subjected to somethng that many ADULT females don't like, enjoy or participate in. It's just disgusting and very sad to me!

Post a Comment

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep. ~ Robert Frost